I love playing around with flavors in the kitchen when I’m in the mood for something new and different. Recently, I was inspired to make a quinoa salad crossed with a yogurt-based Indian side dish called raita. I really like how it turned out. This Indian spiced quinoa salad is a really filling meal and a great accompaniment to spicy food. Its also pretty straight-forward to make.
This recipe has a really mild flavor because it is based on raita. Raita is often served alongside other spicy Indian dishes because it can help counter-act the spiciness of Indian foods. So, if you want your dish to have a bit more punch, try doubling the amount of all the spices you use.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 1 small onion, sliced and caramelized
- 1 - 1 1/2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of ground cloves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Rinse the quinoa and cook it with 2 cups of water. Season with salt, pepper, and a dash of olive oil for flavor. (It usually takes 15-20 minutes.)
- Once the quinoa has cooked, combine it in a bowl with all the other ingredients and mix well.